Start Date: 01-02-2017
End Date: 31-07-2019
TOURISMED is a project aimed at testing and transferring a fishing tourism business model in the coastal territories of Italy, Cyprus, Greece, Albania, France and Spain as a way to promote a sustainable approach to tourism, while fostering the preservation of the marine ecosystem and traditional fishing culture of the MED region.
These areas face the common challenge of finding new solutions for the worrying depletion of marine resources, the decline of the artisanal fishing sector and the negative impacts of tourism such as social dislocation, loss of cultural heritage and ecological degradation.
As a response, the project objective is to promote fishing tourism as a sustainable coastal and maritime tourism practice in the MED area.Expected changes concern an improved use of resources by artisanal fishers, a diversification of income in the sector and a better valorization of coastal traditional heritage and local seafood. The project will produce a pilot test of the model and an evaluation tool to assess its replication in the concerned area.
A training course will involve fishermen to implement the touristic itineraries in synergy with local tourism operators. The final model will be promoted by a web tool to clients willing to set up a fishing tourism business, while an interactive map of itineraries will be used to reach tourists. Protocols with public bodies and fishing associations (MoU) will be followed by policy recommendations to ensure sustainability of project’s impacts.
The project overall objective is to promote fishing tourism as a sustainable coastal and maritime tourism practice in the MED area.
1.To preserve and value maritime culture and artisanal fisheries traditions
2.To contribute to local economies through innovative and alternative eco-tourism products
3.To boost a sustainable use of marine ecosystems and fishing resources
1) 90 fishermen trained in the management of a sustainable sea-based business
2) 6 tourism itineraries linked to the maritime traditional heritage and valorization of local seafood products
3) 1 integrated fishing-tourism business model
4) 6 regional fishing tourism consortia adopting the integrated business model
1. Public authorities – through networking activities and focus groups, thus contributing with feedbacks on the business model. They will take part in the workshop to discuss the final version after the pilot.
2. Fishing associations/fishermen –they will have an active role in the pilot through a training course and in the implementation of the test.
3. Tourism operators – they will be involved in focus groups and in the pilot testing by providing customers. They will also give feedback on the model.
4. General public as tourists will participate to the pilot activity and contribute in the evaluation of the services.
LP: Municipality of Trabia, Italy
PP1: International Promotion Sicily-World - PRISM, Italy
PP2:Promimpresa srl, Italy
PP3: Delfi Partners & Co, Cyprus
PP4: University of Piraeus, Greece
PP5: Cyprus University Of Technology, Cyprus
PP6: Durres Municipality, Albania
PP7: Italian Chamber of Commerce for France in Marseille, France
PP8: PETRA PATRIMONIA CORSICA - Coopérative pour le développement de l’emploi dans les métiers du patrimoine, France
PP9: Haliéus, Italy
PP10: Valenciaport Foundation, Spain